This is an on-going archive of PETER’s appearances in the press and magazines throughout the years, so do please check it out from time-to-time for new additions.
January 13, 1963. Peter’s first ever cover feature! Here, he is pictured (top) in the role of Glenkin in the Associated-Redifusion production of ‘Darkness At Noon’, in which he starred alongside Albert Lieven, Ronald Adamson and Edward Rees.
Local TV listings magazine for the Bristol area of England. August 1964.
Norway: March, 1970.
‘Department S’ reaches the continent and Jason captures the imagination of Europeans everywhere, as seen here on the cover of this Norwegian weekly, Det Nye. Peter became a regular in the magazine, appearing on an almost weekly basis, either in the form of an article or centre-page pin-up.
Britain: May 22, 1970.
As the popularity of ‘Department S’ and its central character, Jason King, continues to grow, Peter is afforded the front page of this issue of the TV Times, along with a two-page interview entitled, “Love, Peter Wyngarde and an Eastern promise”.
TV listings magazine.
(West) Germany 1970.
Entertainment magazine. Interview and pin-ups.
Norway: June 1970.
Norway’s most popular television magazine celebrates the arrival of Peter in Oslo.
Surrounded by female bodyguards, all wearing Jason King T-Shirts, Peter goes out to meet some of the 20,000 fans who turned up to greet him in the Norwegian capital, and to visit a local hospital.
(West) Germany: June 10, 1971.
Det Nye ⇒
Norway: March 1970.
Once again Peter features on the cover of Norway’s ‘Det Nye’, along with his girlfriend, model Elisabeth Var Over, both of whom are seen kissing at Peter’s luxury London apartment, and holding hands together on the South Bank of the River Thames.
(West) Germany: (July/August, 1971)
Peter receives the star treatment with a three-page feature on the Department ‘S’ spin-off, Jason King.
(West) Germany, 1972
Five page interview with PETER, and in-depth feature on Department S.
The Straits Times: September 1955
Radio Times: 1957
TV Mirror and Disc News: December, 1957
Picturegoer: February, 1959
The Children’s Newspaper: 1958
Daily Mirror: July, 1960
The Daily Express: May, 1961
TV Times: 1962
American TV listings magazine: 1970
Unknown Japanese Magazine: 1970
Daily Express: 1970
The Herald Sun (Australia): 1971
Cosmopolitan: April 1972
Cosmopolitan: December 1972
This is an interesting piece, as it shows all the things that PETER loves and enjoys. These are as follows:
- Fencing Kit: PETER has always been a keen Fencer, with both Sabre and Foil, and has fought at the famous Green Club.
- Vivien Leigh: He appeared with Ms Leigh in Duel of Angels, and still describes her as “The love of my life”.
- Tennis Racquets: He would play Tennis daily on the private courts at the rear of his home in London. One of his favourite pastimes now is watching matches from around the world.
- Skis: He began skiing in the early Seventies, and became quite proficient.
- Bust of Beethoven and Beatles Albums: PETER has an eclectic taste in music – from Classical to Pop.
- Lion: He loves animals, and watches any and all wildlife programmes on TV.
- Car: PETER has had a life-long love of cars, and has owned many classics.
- Fresh Veg and Fruit: It’s a little-known fact, but PETER is a fabulous cook, and says that he finds cooking “therapeutic”. He’s always eaten healthily.
- Dog: He’s owned dogs all his life – his most recent were an Afghan Hound called Yuseff, and two Conrgi’s named Cassio and Pipistrello – the latter because “he looked like a bat”.
- Jewellery: PETER collects both wrist watches and clocks.
- Flowers: He was inundated with flowers at the height of his fame, so always had bouquets of them around the house.
The Stage: October 1973
Video and Satellite TV Magazine: 1996
SFX Magazine: February, 2006
The Darkside: March 2017
The Hellfire Club: The OFFICIAL PETER WYNGARDE Appreciation Society: https://www.facebook.com/groups/813997125389790/